David Stewart asks the Government if they plan to pilot a 50mph speed limit for HGVs on the A9
November 27, 2013
Local MSP and long time road safety campaigner, David Stewart MSP, who jointly launched the HGV 50mph campaign with local lorry driver Conor Mckenna, has again lodged a Parliamentary Question within the Scottish Parliament asking the Government if they have made a final decision on plans to pilot a 50mph scheme for HGV’s on the A9.
David Stewart said ” I have campaigned tirelessly now for the A9 to be dualled and also for the Government and Transport Scotland to take any measures needed to make this road safer.
“Over the last year I have placed motions and tabled Questions on this issue.
“I have met and held discussions with the Transport Minister and I have also met local lorry drivers and the Police to discuss the merits of such a scheme.
“More recently I was led to believe that the Government were looking favourably at this proposal, but time is dragging on now and we have some local lorry drivers threatening to rigidly adhere to the 40mph speed limit and convoy on the A9″.
He continued, ” Of course I am not advocating that lorry drivers break the current speed limit, but I would urge them not to convoy down the A9 as this could lead to driver frustration for other road users and the very people we are trying to help.
“I would ask lorry drivers to leave plenty of space between themselves and other HGVs and when queues build up behind them, to pull over and let faster vehicles pass when possible.”
David Stewart went on to say, ” The fact is that frustration kills and on the A9 frustration in particular, is a contributory factor in many collisions.
“Yes I am also campaigning for as much freight as possible to be transferred from road to rail, but the reality is that our roads are heavily used by HGVs who legally cannot exceed 40mph and this slow speed causes frustration to following drivers and leads them to take a course or courses of action that they would not normally take and this action can then lead to tragedy.
“This is why I asked the Government back in August if they were going to introduce this pilot and at that time they said they will continue to monitor the situation.
“We are now almost in December and regular road users of the A9 are getting impatient waiting for an answer, so today I lodged another Parliamentary Questions seeking an answer”.